Singing lessons are a great way to improve your voice and technique, achieve your musical goals, and have fun while doing it. Singing lessons are sessions where you learn how to sing better with the help of a professional vocal coach. A vocal coach is someone who has the knowledge and experience to teach you how to sing with proper technique, expression, and style. A vocal coach can also provide you with feedback, guidance, and support to help you overcome any vocal challenges or issues that may affect your voice.
But how do you make the most of your time with your vocal coach? How do you get the best results from your singing lessons? How do you ensure that your singing lessons are worth it? In this blog post, we will share some tips on how to sing in lesson, and how to make the most of your time with your vocal coach.
Tip #1: Prepare for your lesson
One of the best ways to make the most of your time with your vocal coach is to prepare for your lesson. Preparation can help you maximize your learning and improvement, as well as save time and money. Here are some ways to prepare for your lesson:
- Warm up your voice before your lesson. Warming up your voice can help you loosen up your vocal cords, improve your vocal range and tone, and prevent any vocal damage or strain. You can warm up your voice by doing some breathing, stretching, and humming exercises, or by singing some scales or simple songs.
- Practice what you learned from your previous lesson. Practicing what you learned from your previous lesson can help you reinforce what your vocal coach taught you, as well as develop your own style and creativity. You can practice what you learned by singing along to some backing tracks or recordings, or by singing acapella.
- Choose a song or a genre that you want to work on. Choosing a song or a genre that you want to work on can help you focus on a specific aspect of singing, such as pitch, tone, range, resonance, articulation, or dynamics. You can choose a song or a genre that suits your voice and personality, or that challenges you to try something new. You can also ask your vocal coach for some recommendations or suggestions.
- Set a goal for your lesson. Setting a goal for your lesson can help you have a clear direction and purpose for your learning. You can set a goal that is realistic and achievable, such as improving a certain skill or technique, learning a new song or style, or preparing for a performance or audition. You can also share your goal with your vocal coach, so that they can help you achieve it.
Tip #2: Listen to your vocal coach
Another way to make the most of your time with your vocal coach is to listen to them. Listening to your vocal coach can help you learn from their expertise and experience, as well as receive valuable feedback and guidance. Here are some ways to listen to your vocal coach:
- Pay attention to what they say and do. Paying attention to what they say and do can help you understand their instructions and explanations, as well as observe their demonstrations and examples. You can pay attention to what they say and do by looking at them, nodding, asking questions, or taking notes.
- Follow their instructions and suggestions. Following their instructions and suggestions can help you apply what they teach you, as well as improve your voice and technique. You can follow their instructions and suggestions by doing what they ask you to do, such as singing a certain note, phrase, or song, or trying a certain exercise, technique, or style.
- Ask for feedback and clarification. Asking for feedback and clarification can help you get constructive and helpful feedback on your voice and performance, as well as clarify any doubts or confusion that you may have. You can ask for feedback and clarification by asking them questions such as: How did I do? What did I do well? What can I improve on? How can I improve on it? What does this mean? Can you explain this again?
Tip #3: Enjoy yourself
The last but not least way to make the most of your time with your vocal coach is to enjoy yourself. Enjoying yourself can help you have fun and express yourself while singing, as well as boost your confidence and self-esteem. Here are some ways to enjoy yourself:
- Be yourself. Being yourself can help you sing with authenticity and emotion, as well as showcase your unique voice and personality. You can be yourself by singing songs that resonate with you, expressing how you feel through singing, and adding some personal touches or flair to your singing.
- Experiment and explore. Experimenting and exploring can help you discover new things about yourself and singing, as well as challenge yourself and grow as a singer. You can experiment and explore by trying new songs, styles, or genres of singing, singing with different techniques, or singing in different situations or settings.
- Have fun and relax. Having fun and relaxing can help you sing with ease and enjoyment, as well as reduce any stress or anxiety that you may have. You can have fun and relax by singing songs that you love, singing with a smile, or singing with other people.
Singing in lesson is a great way to improve your voice and technique, achieve your musical goals, and have fun while doing it. By following these tips, you can make the most of your time with your vocal coach, and ensure that your singing lessons are worth it.
Where Can You Find the Best Singing Lessons in Singapore?
If you are looking for the best singing lessons in Singapore, look no further than Vocalogy! Vocalogy is a leading vocal studio that offers high-quality singing lessons for all ages and levels. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced singer, Vocalogy can help you reach your full vocal potential.
Vocalogy also teaches Somatic Voicework- a functional voice teaching style from New York that allows you to switch between various genres of singing, such as pop, rock, jazz, classical, musical theatre, and more, at will. Learn more about our holistic voice training here.
So what are you waiting for? Contact Vocalogy today and book your trial lesson! You will be amazed by how much singing lessons can improve your voice and enrich your life.